A few simple things smart people do with their car to grow their money during the pandemic
Has the pandemic put your finances in a pinch? It’s probably safe to assume that we’ve all felt some sort of financial struggle one way or another. With more people doing remote work, having groceries delivered, and spending less time in their cars commuting to and from work or school, saving gas money has been one major advantage. Looking for other nifty ways to save money on your car during the pandemic? Here are 5 useful tips to help save, as well as opportunities to make some extra money from your car:
- Rent your car out to others using apps like Turo. This is especially helpful if you have multiple cars sitting in your driveway. This innovative ride-share program is a win for both car owners as well as borrowers. Worried about strangers stepping into your vehicle? Turo has you covered with insurance policy requirements and more to protect both parties. For easy and quick cleaning between each renter, keep a self-serve car wash kit in the glovebox for both you and the renter to utilize to make sure your car stays clean and safe.
- Designate your car as PNO. If you know you won’t be driving your car for a period of time, such as three months or longer, all you need to do is complete a certification and a fee to file it. With a Planned Non-Operation car, you don’t need to worry about registration fees or car insurance. By doing this car lease drivers can skip a heft renewal cost if you’re not driving these days because you work from home. This means more moola in your pocket!
- Keep your car protected to avoid damages. While your car is parked in the driveway, you still want to keep it in great shape and maintain it as much as possible. After all, you’ll eventually get to driving it again. Invest in a proper car cover to shield your vehicle and paint from weather conditions. At a minimum, especially if your car is kept outdoors, you should have a pop up shade and smaller window shades to help protect your interior. Give it an occasional quick car cleaning
- Invest in a battery maintainer to protect the life of your car battery. This is especially ideal if it goes used for a long period of time. What’s the difference between simply charging your battery and maintaining it? Maintainers supply small amounts of energy over a long period of time without risk of overcharging your car battery. This will help maintain and extend battery life in the long run. This will help you save time by skipping a jumpstart or buying a new battery.
- Help keep car maintenance costs down. Care for your own car at home instead of taking it to a car wash service or auto shop for simple servicing. Save on car wash costs by creating your own basic car wash kit that includes car shampoo, a large brush for cleaning wheels, car wash mitts, and microfiber or quick drying cloths. Oil changes, checking fluids, and other smaller car maintenance projects can also easily be done at home. Not sure where to start when it comes to automotive care? Try a wide range of car care products and accessories with our customized monthly subscription box to see what products work best for you and your car during the pandemic.
For even more tips and tricks on automotive care, check out our FullscaleBox Blog.